Tentative efforts lead to tentative outcomes. Therefore, give yourself fully to your endeavors. Decide to construct your character through excellent actions, and determine to pay the price for a worthy goal. The trials you encounter will introduce you to your strengths. Remain steadfast… and one day you will build something that endures, something worthy of your potential. -Epictetus

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Honoring Jack Lalanne

The great health pioneer Jack Lalanne passed away in 2011 at the age of 96. So, today's wod will be a 'for time' challenge of 11 different exercises, many of which involve the push-up in honor of Jack's push-up record. We will be doing 6 reps of each exercise for 9 rounds. As inspiration for the wod, here are some of my favorite Lalanne quotes:

Many so-called spiritual people, they overeat, drink too much, they smoke and don't exercise. But they do go to church every week and pray, "Please help my arthritis. Please help me bring up my strength, make me young again."

Everything you do in life, I don't care, good or bad - don't blame God, don't blame the devil, don't blame me, blame you. You control everything! The thoughts you think, the words you utter, the foods you eat, the exercise you do. Everything is controlled by you.

So, the wod for 2/3/11 is 9 rounds of 6 reps for time of: (record time in comments)
tuck jumps
push-ups, hands release at bottom
box jumps, the higher the box the better
clapping push-ups, as high off the ground as you can
chin-ups
diamond push-ups
scissor jumps, six each leg for total of twelve
burpee modification, push-up*
double-unders
man-makers, DB; choose DB around 20% of BW*
pull-ups

*see comments

5 comments:

  1. the burpee modification with push-up is a normal burpee except you don't go straight down to the floor with your chest and up as fast as you can. You first drop to push-up position, do a push-up and then explode up to finish out the burpee.

    for man-maker tutorial, see the comments for the wod posted on Jan. 10, 2011 titled In Memory of the Fallen Ducks. Remember that this movement requires 3 push-ups per rep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I made a gross oversight with this one. It was perhaps a little too long. That is the issue we sometimes run into when we put together fairly random and never-been-done-before wods. Anyways, I was thinking I'd knock this out in about a half an hour. I got a little bit of a late start this morning and after 31:49 into the wod I had only completed 5 rounds. I had to bust out to get to my morning class. I gave it my all and got smoked, but I really felt bad for not being able to complete this one. Jack, if you are reading this, please don't juice me when we meet someday.

    There are a few things that I would change about this wod if I were to ever do it again. Less rounds and more reps. Also, the man-makers are awesome but they definitely slowed this one down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 49:37 with a few caveats...

    DUs are my secret shame... I subbed 20 rope jumps and 10 tuck jumps. Box was 38 inches. Used 50 lb DBs (rookie mistake).

    I wore thin shooting gloves because it was really cold outside.

    Almost quit after 3 rounds, 4 rounds and 5 rounds, but then realized I was over halfway done and started repeating the mantra "only 6 reps."

    One comment: could have used more pushups or perhaps some sort of jumping exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a beast of a rookie, Top.

    For the record, I used a 36" box and 40 lb DBs on the man-makers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completed this as rx'd with 35 lb db for manmakers and 30 inch box. My time was 56:14. I was hoping for around 45 minutes but I just kept slowing down manmakers did me in but I got through it.

    ReplyDelete